According to the Office of National Statistics (ONS), 8% of total deaths in the UK in 2018, equating to 50,000 deaths, were caused by diseases that would have been treatable had they been avoided through timely and effective healthcare interventions. With such a high mortality rate associated with treatable conditions, the need for early detection of disease has never been clearer.
Early detection is at the heart of Echelon Health’s philosophy. This is why, through state-of-the-art technology and analysis by renowned consultant physicians, we deliver the most comprehensive Health Assessments available, and have saved lives doing so. This post will explore everything you need to know.
Why is early detection so important?
The Big Four leading causes of premature death in the UK and USA are heart disease, cancers, lung disease and stroke. Fortunately, it is possible to significantly reduce your risk of developing these diseases through living a healthy and balanced lifestyle. However, there is no way to altogether remove your risk – we can’t control two of the biggest risk factors; age and genetics – and therefore early detection remains imperative.
Sadly almost half of all cancers in the UK are diagnosed at a late stage, according to Cancer Research UK. You see, too often we wait until we experience unpleasant symptoms before we take action and see our GP, by which time the condition has progressed and treatment options are probably more limited.
This is why, when you are healthy and asymptomatic, it is the perfect time to catch disease in its early stages. Consider this statistic derived from Cancer Research UK; if diagnosed at the earliest stage, more than 80% of lung cancer patients will survive for a year or more, compared to around 15% for those diagnosed at the most advanced stage of cancer.
By attending a Preventative Health Assessment, you can have peace of mind that if anything worrisome is flagged up will likely be in its early stages, allowing it to be nipped in the bud. Alternatively, if nothing is detected, you will benefit from expert insight into your health.
The role of technology in early detection
Echelon Health utilise one of the most advanced imaging suites in the world. Our CT scanner can see inside the heart arteries with a resolution of 0.3mm whilst our MRI scanner is one of the few very powerful 3 Tesla scanners available in London.
Meanwhile our EOS CT scanner uses Nobel Prize-winning ultrasensitive detector technology to deliver a 3D reconstruction of the musculoskeletal system whilst the patient is in a standing position. With only a handful of these scanners in use in the UK, we’re proud to offer EOS imaging as part of your preventative Health Assessment.
All of our scans and blood tests can flag up cancer, as cancer can develop in any tissue in any part of the body. However, it is not just cancer we detect for. For example, a CT of the abdomen will detect for stomach ulcers; cysts in the kidney and liver; spleen enlargement and general inflammation. Meanwhile a brain MRI will detect for structural abnormalities associated with MS, Alzheimer’s or an AVM; cysts; swelling from head injuries; vascular dementia as well as tumours.
Other benefits of a Preventative Health Assessment
- Tailored to your needs – before any tests are performed, your medical history will be discussed in depth with a renowned consultant physician to ensure the assessment is tailored to your needs.
- Full body mole screen – Echelon are partnered with The Mole Clinic, which leads the UK in skin cancer screening and mole removal. This is included in our Premium Health Assessments.
- Blood tests for over 40 parameters – including:
- CA 19.9 and CA 125 which are markers for breast cancer and ovarian cancer respectively,
- PSA (prostate-specific antigen) to detect prostate cancer.
- CEA – a general tumour marker,
- Full blood count – which measures the relative amounts of white blood cells that may indicate the presence of cancer.
- Up to seven specialist consults may review your results – each reporting on their particular area of expertise.
- Referral to top consultants and specialists: if anything worrisome is detected Echelon Health will make an immediate referral to a highly experienced specialist to discuss treatment.
- Early detection – anything flagged up will likely be in its early stages as it has not yet caused obvious symptoms. Therefore, you will likely have more treatment options and a promising outcome if you are diagnosed with cancer.
- High detection rate – Our Platinum or Evergreen packages detect for up to 92% of the diseases that lead to premature death in men aged 55-69, and over 95% in women. This is according to our independently-verified analysis of data from the Office for National Statistics.
- Receive lifestyle and health management advice – our experts will give you a detailed understanding of your health and actionable steps you can take to improve it.
To view our case studies, click here.
Contact Echelon Health today
With so many benefits associated with preventative health checks, it’s easy to see why so many people are choosing to take control of their own health. If you would like to find out more about the range of options available, why not talk to a member of our client liaison team today?
Call Echelon Health now on 020 7580 7688 and find out why prevention is always better than cure. Alternatively, click on the button below and fill out a simple form to arrange for us to call you back at your convenience.Make an Enquiry
Office for National Statistics – Avoidable mortality in the UK. 2018
Cancer Research UK – Cancer Incidence Statistics