Our medical imaging facilities
However, whereas many other clinics are tied to the machines they have bought and have to continue to use, even when medical imaging technology and best practice moves on, we are far more flexible, and utilise additional local scanners if they provide superior disease detection. We recognise that no single scanner can detect all types of disease. For instance, our partner ESC has recently transformed another of their centres just a couple of minutes’ walk from our Harley Street clinic to contain a special high powered 3T MRI scanner which is perfect for undertaking the most complex of high-resolution scans. As a result, we now have access to that facility as well, ensuring we are constantly refining our service to provide our clients with the best of the best. At all times, ensuring your experience is world class is at the heart of everything we do. If we do use another facility for whatever reason, we will escort you there, wait for you and then escort you back, and in a limousine too if the weather demands it. Nothing is too much trouble for clients of Echelon Health.
Aquilion ONE 640 slice CT scanner
CT scanners are graded according to the number of slices of the body the rotating x-ray tube can image in one rotation. Many current diagnostic imaging units, both NHS and independent, use scanners with 16-64 slice capability;
in contrast, the Aquilion ONE images 640 slices.
This allows it to scan a 16 cm volume with each rotation, covering entire organs such as the heart, brain or whole joints.
The Aquilion ONE:
- Is the most advanced CT scanner currently available, being able to image 640 slices of the body with each rotation of its tube compared to 16-64 slices from most other scanners
- Has the lowest radiation exposure of any CT scanner (up to 10-fold lower than other conventional CT scanners)
- Avoids any sense of claustrophobia as your body moves across the detectors
- Is the only scanner able to image the heart in a single rotation which greatly increases accuracy
- Is able to image the vulnerable ‘soft’ cholesterol-rich coronary artery plaque, which is the most likely to rupture and cause a heart attack
- Is the only scanner able to image the heart in patients with an irregular heart rhythm
- Is the only scanner capable of real time 4D imaging of moving joints
- Has the unique ability to show real-time function of organs such as blood flow
- is able to visualise lung nodules as small as 1-2mm
- Has an increased spatial resolution of 0.3mm vs >0.5mm for 64 slice scanners, providing increased image quality
MrOpen upright and open MRI scanner
This is a truly unique MRI scanner featuring Nobel Prize winning superconductor technology derived from the CERN project. Due to their expense and technological differences, there are currently just a handful of these scanners installed worldwide.
The upright and open MRI scanner:
- Features Nobel Prize winning superconductor technology derived from the CERN project
- Is fully open, thus avoiding any sense of claustrophobia associated with conventional ‘closed bore’ MRI scanners
- Is unique in allowing imaging of the spine and joints in an upright and weight-bearing position, which is usually that of maximum symptoms, thereby improving accuracy and clinical outcomes
- Provides excellent imaging of the prostate gland
- Avoids the use of liquid helium, making it quieter and safer
- Has extra-wide spacing enabling the imaging of larger patients
EOS dual source upright CT scanner
The EOS dual source linear upright CT scanner is a revolutionary new scanner, utilising Nobel Prize winning ultra-sensitive detector technology, which promises to dramatically alter the way we image and diagnose spinal and posture related conditions. It is being called the 5th imaging modality alongside CT, MRI, Ultrasound and X-ray.
The EOS employs two x-ray tube detector pairs, scanning at 90o to each other that move from the top to the bottom of the standing patient to generate incredibly detailed 2D and 3D images of the whole skeleton.
These images allow accurate visualisation of the entire spine and major joints (hips, knees, ankles) which enables precise measurement and assessment.
The EOS dual source upright CT scanner:
- Is a novel upright CT scanner, described as the 5th imaging modality after CT, MRI, Ultrasound and X-ray
- Utilises Nobel Prize winning ultra-sensitive x-ray detector technology
- Allows rapid imaging of the entire skeleton in a standing position at an extremely low radiation dose
- Enables accurate assessment of skeletal issues, as well as postural analysis to determine pre-disposition to spine disc disease
- Is proven to improve clinical outcomes
Siemens 3T MRI (Magnetom Skyra)
The 3T Siemens Magnetom Skyra’s powerful 3T magnet, delivers high-quality, clear images making it one of the highest quality MRI exams available today.
- Its powerful magnet delivers optimal images for musculoskeletal, cardiac, neurology and prostate imaging.
- With a 70cm open bore, the Magnetom Skyra allows for 30cm of space above your face, coupled with the shortest magnets in the industry enabling more exams to be performed with the head outside the bore.
- Low power and cooling requirements contribute to industry leading energy efficiency – with 22% lower power consumption. This means reduces the environmental impact of utilising this scanner
- The strong 3T magnet and state of the art technology allows for faster and more efficient exams and delivers excellent images to enable accurate diagnosis.