Thanks to the advancements in healthcare technology, we can now detect diseases at a much quicker rate and identify them earlier on in the process. Health screenings have continued to be utilised throughout the healthcare sector. Their purpose is to detect problems before they become more significant issues. They also detect diseases earlier on so treatment can intervene quicker and increase the survival rate of many patients.
This blog by Echelon Health will discuss why health screening is the way forward in healthcare today and answer some all-important questions. Why is health screening important? How does it work? What’s included?
What Is Health Screening?
A health screening is a medical test used to assess individuals who seem healthy on the surface. They aim to identify whether a patient has any underlying health issues or an increased risk of certain conditions. There is a range of screening tests available in the UK suitable for specific areas of the population. For example, breast screening is typically offered to older people between the ages of 50 and 70 (NHS, 2021). You will be asked a series of health-related questions during a health screening, and your doctor may also conduct a physical examination.
Increasingly, people are choosing to attend private health screenings to help them identify any underlying health issues so they can get them under control before they spiral into a bigger problem. A health screening also ties into a corporate health screening as they have similar aims. Please take a look at our corporate services page to find out more.
Why Is Health Screening Important?
Preventive health screening is paving the way for healthcare as it takes the strain off our healthcare professionals. A health screening also offers an impressive number of benefits, as listed below:
- Identifies health risks that patients may not know about
- Supports those who have a family history of health problems by providing information and advice about prevention
- Detects disease early to increase the chance of survival
- Keeps your mind at ease that you have your health under control
It is also important to note that age is a major risk factor for various diseases. Therefore, a health screening becomes more vital as you age. Early detection and treatment can help your body increase its chance of fighting against these diseases.
How Does A Health Screening Work?
If you choose to undergo a health screening at Echelon Health, expect to receive attentive care throughout the day. You will be greeted personally on arrival before completing any last-minute paperwork. You will then have your blood taken; then, an ECG will be taken.
Depending on the health assessment package you have chosen, you may move seamlessly from CT to MRI to Ultrasound. If you undergo a CT scan, you will be able to have something to eat and drink after. Once again, depending on the package you choose, you may need to visit other facilities for further tests where you will be personally accompanied. At the end of your visit, one of our team members will review the day with you and ensure your needs have been met before arranging a date for a follow-up consultation. Visit our medical facility page for more details.
What’s Included In A Health Screening?
A health screening will include a range of tests depending on the package you choose. Some of the tests you can expect to see in our health screening packages include:
- Blood tests
- CT scans
- MRI scans
Our range of health assessments spans across many categories and can help detect multiple different diseases such as cancers, diseases of the cardio system, respiratory system, and digestive system. Check out our what we can detect page for more information.
Full Health Screening Package
Echelon Health offers various health assessments and packages that can be tailored entirely to your needs. Take a look at our packages below:
- Platinum: This package offers a full health screening; the following tests and scans are included in the platinum package:
- Blood Tests
- CT Aorta
- CT Heart
- CT Coronary Angiogram
- CT Chest
- CT Pelvis
- CT Virtual Colonoscopy
- CT Bone Density
- CT Upright Skeleton
- MRI Brain
- MRI Cerebral Artery Angiogram
- MRI Carotid Artery Angiogram
- MRI Prostate
- Ultrasound Thyroid
- Ultrasound Testes/Ovaries
- Digital Mammogram
- Full Body Mole Screen
- Gold: Includes an ECG and all CT scans mentioned above. It also offers an ultrasound of testes/ovaries, a digital mammogram for women only and an MRI prostate for men only
- Core Cancer: Includes a range of tests to identify the most common cancers, which with the right treatment can be prevented from reaching a more developed stage
- Healthy Heart: Includes a CT Heart and CTCA scan, ECG and blood tests to identify any underlying issues with your heart health
- Bespoke: Our bespoke package can be tailored to your needs. You can choose which tests you would like to undergo during your assessment as clinically appropriate and approved after looking through your medical history
What Technology Do We Use For A Health Screening?
Echelon Health uses state-of-the-art technology and innovation to carry out our health screening tests. We use a range of different technology listed below:
- Aquilion ONE Prism 640 slice CT scanner: Specialist software unique to the PRISM provides the best image quality performed at low dose radiation. This allows it to scan a 16cm volume with each rotation, covering entire organs such as the heart, brain or whole joints.
- MrOpen upright and open MRI scanner: This unique MRI scanner features Nobel Prize-winning technology. Due to their expense and technological differences, there are currently just a handful of these scanners installed worldwide.
- Siemens 3T MRI (Magnetom Skyra): The 3T Siemens powerful 3T magnet delivers high-quality, clear images making it one of the highest quality MRI exams available today.
- EOS dual-source upright CT scanner: Images from this scanner allow accurate visualisation of the entire spine and major joints (hips, knees, ankles) which enables precise measurement and assessment.
Our medical imaging equipment gives Echelon Health the unique ability to provide comprehensive and superior health assessments to our patients. It allows us to provide superior disease detection to help increase our patient’s chance of survival.
Why Choose Echelon Health?
A health screening helps take pressure off our healthcare professionals by identifying diseases early. It allows patients to get their health under control before these issues spiral out of control. As you grow older, health screening should become a priority. This is because age is a significant risk factor for most life-threatening diseases. Detecting issues early can help increase your chances of survival. For more information, please read our article on ‘the best time to invest in health assessments’.
So, why choose Echelon Health? At Echelon Health, we are proud to say patients are in safe hands. Our specialists are experts in their field and only use the most advanced imaging technology to offer the best health assessment experience available on the market. The combination of all the scans, technology and experiences allows us to detect 92% and 94% of preventable causes of death among men and women.
If you would like to know more about our health assessment programmes, don’t hesitate to contact us.
NHS, (2021). When you’ll be invited for breast screening and who should go. Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/breast-screening-mammogram/when-youll-be-invited-and-who-should-go/ (Accessed 04/05/2022)